Apr 15, 2020
Julie and Casey sit down with Georgia Lee Hussey - artist turned
financial planner and founder of Modernist Financial - to talk
about another taboo subject: money. We learn about "money
stories", "punk damage", whether it's possible to reconcile
progressive values with financial success, and figuring out what
you REALLY want.
- Your money stories are the inherited and unconscious beliefs
you have around money, and they are always pulling the strings in
the background. Excavate and examine to make more empowered
- "Punk damage" = the idea that all wealth and success is
inherently bad. Spoiler: it ends up upholding traditional power
- The questions to ask are “how can I make decisions in line with
my values within the structure that I exist in, and how can I work
to change those structures."
- It's time to update the money story of the "American
- We can use down times to nurture our anxiety or to nurture our
future. Investing in yourself and in your future is an
empowering choice, even now.
- Maybe you don’t need a vacation HOUSE. Maybe you need a
- One of most radical things we can do as creatives and
entrepreneurs is build ourselves into our own budget.
Georgia Lee Hussey is the
Founder and CEO of Modernist Financial, a B Corp wealth management firm
dedicated to helping progressive people structure their wealth
around their values. Her mission is to build a world where smart,
creative people feel permission to enjoy today while providing a
stable financial base for our common future. Before launching
Modernist, Georgia worked for
national and local financial firms as a CFP. Prior to
working in finance, she was a sculptor and writer.